Cheffins are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy in ways that comply with our legal and regulatory obligations, and to being clear about what we do with personal data.
This policy explains how we use any personal data we may collect from you when you use our websites or when you use one of our services. If your questions are not fully answered by the information below, please contact us by using one of the contact methods described at the “Who we are” section at the end of this policy and we’ll be happy to help.
Why we collect personal data from you
To provide you with products and services. Each product and service have different information requirements. Therefore, the personal data we need, and what it is needed for, can differ. For full details please refer to the terms of business for each product or service.
To provide you with information about products and services that we, believe will be of interest to you. We will only do this with your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by changing your marketing preferences or unsubscribing using the link at the bottom of the emails we send you (this could either be an “unsubscribe” link or a “manage my preferences” link), or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal data we collect from you
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This is information about you that you give us by filling in forms on our site http://www.cheffins.co.uk or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. It includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, search for a property/auction item, and when you report a problem with our website. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
- Information we collect about you. Each time you use our website we will automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, time zone setting, and which language you have used;
- information about your visit, including products you viewed or searched for, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Personal data we receive from third parties
Credit reference and fraud prevention agencies
We may receive personal data about you from credit reference and fraud prevention agencies.
- When you register to use any of our services we may check your records at credit reference and fraud prevention agencies.
- When credit reference agencies receive a search request, they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other organisations (whether your application proceeds or not). Credit reference agencies supply to us or our partner companies both public (including the electoral register) and shared credit and fraud prevention information.
- If you are making a joint application or tell us you have a spouse or financial associate we may link your records together, so you must be sure that you have their agreement to disclose personal information about them. Credit reference agencies also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until you or your partner successfully file(s) for a disassociation with the credit reference agencies to break that link.
If you require details of those credit reference and fraud prevention agencies from whom we obtain and with whom we share your personal data or further details about the use of your personal data by credit reference and fraud prevention agencies please contact us by using one of the contact methods described at the “Who we are” section at the end of this policy and we’ll be happy to help.
Who sees your personal data?
The personal data we collect about you will be used within Cheffins. Exactly who sees your personal data depends on the context in which you provided it.
Third Party Businesses and Service Providers
Sometimes we will share your personal data with Third Party Businesses and Service Providers outside of Cheffins. We may do this for the following reasons:
- To protect Cheffins or others. We may share your personal data with third parties when we believe it is necessary to protect our or another person’s rights, property, or safety. This includes exchanging personal data with third parties to protect against fraud and reduce payment risks.
- To provide personal data collected to credit reference agencies. This personal data may be recorded by them. If you do not pay us in full and on time credit reference agencies may record the outstanding debt. This personal data may be supplied to other organisations by credit reference agencies to perform similar checks and to trace your whereabouts and recover debts that you owe. Records remain on file with the credit reference agencies for 6 years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
- If you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect or identify fraud we will record this and may also pass this information to fraud prevention agencies and other organisations involved in crime and fraud prevention.
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations and codes of practice or in response to a valid request from a competent authority.
We will only deal with third party Businesses and Service Providers that we trust to treat our customers’ personal data with the same stringent controls that we apply ourselves.
Third Party Clients
How long do we keep your personal data?
How long we keep your personal data depends on the context in which you provided it and the marketing preferences you have expressed. In particular:
- We will keep any personal data we or need to provide you with any of the services you we provide to you for the period during which that service is provided.
- We may keep your contact details for as long as we have your consent to send you marketing information.
- We may keep records of any transactions you enter with us for up to six years plus the year when that transaction was made. This is so that we can respond to any complaints or disputes that arise in that period.
- We will keep other personal data about you if it is necessary for us to do so to comply with the law.
Maintaining the personal data we hold for you
We aim to give you control over the personal information we hold about you. You can update the personal information we hold for you at any time by contacting us in the manner set out in the relevant service literature you are in receipt of.
You can request details of, all the personal information we hold about you by contacting us by using one of the contact methods described at the “Who we are” section at the end of this policy and they will send you an application form which you should complete and return.
You also have the right to have all personal data that doesn’t have to be kept for reasons of law, deleted or no longer processed by us. To do this please contact us by using one of the contact methods described at the “Who we are” section at the end of this policy and they will send you an application form which you should complete and return.
Keeping your personal data secure
We take the security of your personal information seriously.
We've implemented technology and security policies, rules and measures to protect the personal data we have under our control, both on and offline, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction and loss.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, but data can never be guaranteed as 100% secure. Please note that we will not be liable for any breach of security unless we have been negligent.
A cookie is a small text file that is saved to the hard drive of your computer when you use a website.
Use of Cheffins email marketing lists
So that you can receive information from the department within Cheffins that you are most interested in, we have created separate email lists.
The following information is to help you choose which list you may wish to subscribe to and understand what sort of information you will be receiving by subscribing.
|Department email list
||Type of Information sent to the list
|Fine Art – The Fine Art Sale
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Fine Art news, special Fine Art event information.
|Fine Art - Asian Art
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Asian Art news, special Asian Art event information.
|Fine Art - Art and Design
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Art and Design news, special Art and Design event information.
|Fine Art – Connoisseurs (Militaria, Coins and other collectors’ items)
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Connoisseurs news, special Connoisseurs event information.
|Fine Art - The Interiors Sale
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Interiors news, special Interiors event information.
|Fine Art - Library (Books, Maps, Prints etc)
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Library news, special Library event information.
|Fine Art - Silver, Jewellery & Watches
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Silver Jewellery and Watches news, special Silver Jewellery and Watches event information.
|Fine Art - Wine Sales
||Relevant auction information, related valuation day information, Wine Sales news, special Wine Sales event information.
||Relevant auction information, related entries information, Cambridge Machinery news, special Cambridge Machinery event information.
||Relevant auction information, related entries information, Vintage Motorcycle news, special Vintage Motorcycles event information.
||Relevant auction information, related entries information, Vintage Tractor news special Vintage Tractor event information.
||Relevant auction information, related entries information, Onsite news, special Onsite auction event information.
||Relevant auction information, related entries information, Property Auction news, special Property auction event information.
||Rural Planning Clinic information, Rural Professional news, special Rural Professional events, relevant auction and entries information
||Commercial news, special Commercial events, relevant auction and entries information.
||Development Opportunities News, Development Opportunities special events, relevant auction and entries information.
||Planning news, special planning events, relevant auction and entries information.
Right to lodge a complaint with Information Commissioner's Office ("ICO")
If you have any complaints about the way in which we process your personal data, please contact us by using one of the contact methods described at the “Who we are” section at the end of this policy and we’ll be happy to help. Alternatively, you have the right to lodge a formal complaint with the ICO.
Who we are:
1-2 Clifton Road
For further information about or privacy practices, or to contact us regarding any reason set out above please contact our Compliance Officer. You can contact them by:
1-2 Clifton Road